Posts filed under 'Money Matters'
It’s time to do taxes again!Â
Here are the TurboTax Online deals I’ve found for this year.
- American Express - Use your American Express card and save 25% when you purchaseÂ TurboTax Online products
- Fidelity Investments - Save 25% on TurboTaxÂ® products for federal and state tax returns
- MasterCard -Â Use your MasterCard and save 20% on TurboTax Online products
- Navy Federal – Save 20% on TurboTax Online Federal and State products
- State Farm – StateFarm.comÂ® registered customers who have at least one product (Bank, Insurance and/or Mutual Funds) displaying on their My Account page willÂ have the ability to file their 2007 income tax online for free.Â This service is being provided by Intuit, the creators of TurboTax.
- Suntrust – Save 15% on TurboTax Online products
- Visa – Use your Visa and save 15% on TurboTax Online products
- Wachovia – File online today and save 30% on TurboTaxÂ® OnlineSM Federal products
For reviews and other dealsÂ on TurboTax and other tax preparation software, please click here.Â
January 19th, 2008
Every tax year, I gather up my pile of donation receipts. These receipts can be pretty generic, so I make a separate list of the items I donated and attach it to the donation receipt. Then, I take about five minutes and go to The Salvation Army’s Valuation Guide. This guide is broken down into six categories:
Each category has a list of items with its high and low value. With this guide, I determine the value of my donated goods. I think it’s a great resource that you may find very helpful.
Another helpful resource is Goodwill, whose list includes values for computers and sporting goods.
Good luck and happy tax filing.
February 23rd, 2007
UPDATE:Â For this year’s deals, click here.
I think TurboTax Online is great. I like it even better when I get it on sale.
Here are some deals you may be able to take advantage of:
- American Express Cardmembers – Use TurboTax Online and save 25% off the federal preparation fee, which includes free e-filing. This offer is valid 1/1/07 – 10/15/07. To take advantage of this offer, visit www.officialpayments.com/turbotaxamex.
- Anycoupon.com – If you go through this site, you can get TurboTax Online starting at only $14.95. Click here for this offer.
- Bank of America – Makes available discounted services from TurboTax starting at only $11.20. Click here for this offer.
- Wachovia – Get a 15% discount off regular TurboTax Online prices through this link.
- Suntrust – Receive 15% off any TurboTax Online product by using this link.
- Fidelity – Complimentary Access for Fidelity Private Access and Active Trader Clients to TurboTax Online Premier. Click here for this offer.
- Navy Federal – Members save 20% on TurboTax Online by using this link.
- Visa – Now Visa cardholders can save 15% on a TurboTax Online federal product, which includes free e-filing. Click here for this offer.
Good Luck with your taxes and don’t wait too long, as some of these deals are for a limited time.
February 6th, 2007
Bealls Outlet has great pricing. On top of that, they have free customer shopping programs to help you save even more money. Here are a few of their programs.
- Friday Club
If you’re 49 and under, receive 15% off all purchases (including clearance) every Friday.
- Frequent Shopper Cards
Receive 1 stamp for every $10 purchase. Then, redeem your completed card for 20% discount on entire purchase (including clearance). This card can be used in conjunction with the Friday Club.
- V.I.P. Shopper Program
Provide them with your e-mail address and they will send you advance notice of their upcoming promotions.
Bealls Outlet has locations in Arizona, Florida, and Georgia. Locally they can be found in Pembroke Pines, Coconut Creek, Pompano Beach, Hollywood, Hallandale, and North Lauderdale. For exact addresses and other locations, please click here.
Good luck with the pursuit to save a buck!
October 26th, 2006
Broward County Library is the ninth largest library in the United States. As such, we can borrow the latest movies, music, and audiobooks. It’s so easy to do and it’s FREE!
Here is the process for checking out a movie.
- Have your Broward County Library Card.
- Go to www.broward.org/library/elibrary.htm.
- Click on the Latest Movies, Music, & Audiobooks button.
- Click here for New Movies. You can view the list of movies available by week. At the bottom of the page, the past 26 weeks are listed.
- When you find a movie you’d like to see, click on it.
- On the movie’s description page, click on Check Our Catalog.
- On the movie’s Full Record, click on the Place Hold(s) button, which is located on the left hand side, second button down.
- Now you should be on the Place Hold screen. Enter your Library Card Number, Last Name, and Last 4 digits of your phone number. Click on submit query.
- This takes you to the Branch Pickup screen. Click on the branch where you will pick up the movie and click the Place Hold button.
- The Hold Confirmation screen comes up letting you know:
- the title of the movie you placed on hold
- your number on the hold list
- how many holdable copies there are
- When the movie is available, the library will call you.
- You have 5 days (from the time they call you) to pick up the movie. The movie borrow time is 5 days.
The process is similar for audiobooks and a little more complicated for music cds.
Here’s to good movies and saving money!
October 17th, 2006
Every once in a while, I like to check the market value of my home. I’ve used a few different sites with varying results. Homegain.com and HouseValues.com require your personal information then e-mail limited information (or nothing at all). Zillow.com is much better. I get immediate results, without having to provide lots of other information. You just type in the address and it provides the following:
- estimated value
- value range
- when the information was last updated
- one week change in value
- photo of the property and the surrounding neighborhood from street and satellite view
- property values of houses in vicinity
- number of bedrooms/baths
- house sqare footage and lot square footage
- year built
- number of floors
- type of dwelling
- comparable home values
- average value per square foot
- value change over 1, 5, 10 years and since last sale
- sale history and property tax information
- graphs house value against zip code, city, county, state, and country in dollars and percentages
So, do you know the market value of your home? It’s only a click away.
September 28th, 2006
Back in January of ’05, I decided to try making money by filling out surveys. I signed up with SurveyScout and then went through the tedious process of registering with each survey service. I filled out tons of surveys, and made less than $20! I was the wrong demographic and didn’t win any of the contests. Thankfully, SurveyScout refunded my money. So, my advice is don’t pay to join a survey club. In fact, SurveySpot offers the following note (before you join their panel).
“Special note: If you paid money to any company to find out about online survey opportunities, we advise you to ask for a refund. Online surveys are fun and your opinions are important in helping shape the products and services of the future. You might win a prize or be paid a few dollars as a thank you for your time, but taking online surveys is not a way to earn a paycheck. At SurveySpot we’ll always be straight with you, we’ll never ask you for money, and we’ll never try to sell you anything.”
This statement can be found on SurveySpot’s Join page.
However, if you want to see first hand what to expect, here is a small list of sites to fill out surveys. (After a handful of these, you will come to your own conclusion.)
I hope this information has helped you and I wish you the best of luck with finding a way to make more money with less work.
September 25th, 2006