Posts filed under 'Local Info'
The United States Postal Service’s South Florida Mail Processing Center has its last mail collection at 9 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. on Saturday. If you need other postal services, this location has business hours until 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and until 2:30 p.m. on Saturday. The South Florida Mail Processing Center is located at 16000 Pines Blvd in Pembroke Pines. Click here to get driving directions to this location. If you’re not in South Florida, go to the USPS Post Office Locator to search for a mail processing center near you.
Let me tell you, the mail collection at 9 p.m. has saved me a few times. So the next time you’re running late or need today’s postmark, take solace in knowing that you can go to the South Florida Mail Processing Center.
October 18th, 2006
Broward County Library is the ninth largest library in the United States. As such, we can borrow the latest movies, music, and audiobooks. It’s so easy to do and it’s FREE!
Here is the process for checking out a movie.
- Have your Broward County Library Card.
- Go to www.broward.org/library/elibrary.htm.
- Click on the Latest Movies, Music, & Audiobooks button.
- Click here for New Movies. You can view the list of movies available by week. At the bottom of the page, the past 26 weeks are listed.
- When you find a movie you’d like to see, click on it.
- On the movie’s description page, click on Check Our Catalog.
- On the movie’s Full Record, click on the Place Hold(s) button, which is located on the left hand side, second button down.
- Now you should be on the Place Hold screen. Enter your Library Card Number, Last Name, and Last 4 digits of your phone number. Click on submit query.
- This takes you to the Branch Pickup screen. Click on the branch where you will pick up the movie and click the Place Hold button.
- The Hold Confirmation screen comes up letting you know:
- the title of the movie you placed on hold
- your number on the hold list
- how many holdable copies there are
- When the movie is available, the library will call you.
- You have 5 days (from the time they call you) to pick up the movie. The movie borrow time is 5 days.
The process is similar for audiobooks and a little more complicated for music cds.
Here’s to good movies and saving money!
October 17th, 2006
Atlanta Bread Company (ABC) has a new promotion called Family Night. Here is how it works: When you dine in (on select days) at ABC, children 12 and under receive a free kid’s meal with every paid adult meal.
These ABC locations in Broward County are participating in Family Night.
If you aren’t in this area, contact your local Atlanta Bread Company to see if they have Family Night.
October 16th, 2006
Here are some of the big names coming to South Florida between October 21st and October 30th.
There’s a lot of musical talent to choose from. But if music isn’t your thing, you can see Jay Leno (before 11:35 at night). So before the holidays get underway, why not take in some live entertainment to change things up a bit?
October 13th, 2006
Every year my family and I pick out a big, beautiful pumpkin. We have been to Ludwig’s Market (which is no longer there, so sad) and Church Pumpkin Patches. This year we are going to Batten’s Farm. Here is their information.
Located at 5151 SW 64th Avenue, Davie, FL (between Griffin Rd. & Stirling Rd. on Davie Road). 954-792-0068
Open daily from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m., closed on Wednesdays.
They have a small selection of pumpkins at this time, but will be stocking up on lots of fresh pumpkins between October 15th and 18th.
SouthFlorida.com has a nice write up on them as the Best Farmers’ Market.
To learn more about pumpkins and how to carve them, I have included a couple of sites.
- PumpkinPatchesandMore.org is an excellent resource. It has all sorts of information, including the following:
- Pumpkin Carving 101 is another great resource. It outlines every step (with photos) of the pumpkin carving process from choosing the right pumpkin to having the right tools.
For those of you looking for a faster and more convenient solution, Publix has real pumpkins with funny faces painted on them for $9.99. They’re really cute or should I say scary.
Whichever way you decide to go, make it fun and make it glow.
October 11th, 2006
I’ve been taking my kids to see Ooopsy (at Publix) for the last four years. They love her show and it makes grocery shopping easier. I see it as a win-win. Ooopsy does a free 45 minute show at the following Broward Publix locations:
- Weston Commons – October 17th and 24th at 10:00 a.m.
- Coquina Plaza – October 17th and 31st at 9:00 a.m.
- Sunset Plaza – October 17th, 24th, and 31st at 3:00 p.m. (Usually every Tuesday)
- Monarch Plaza – October 12th, 19th, and 26th at 10:00 a.m. (Usually every Thursday)
- River Run Plaza – October 14th and 21st at 10:00 a.m.
- Heron Bay Plaza – October 13th, 20th, and 27th at 10:00 a.m.
- Schedules are subject to change, so please call ahead if you want to confirm.
At some Publix locations, your child also receives a cup of juice, a cookie, and a balloon.
For more information, visit Ooopsy’s website. It outlines her calendar of events along with many other sections like:
- Services – lists event options, entertainment, and equipment
- Gifts – Ooopsy DVD’s, t-shirts, etc.
- Kids Corner – with coloring pages and a child I.D. card that you print out
- Parents Corner – provides party help ideas, party game ideas, and support ideas
I think Publix and Ooopsy make a great combination. Why not find out for yourself?
October 10th, 2006
Brad Meltzer is a South Florida-based New Yok Times bestselling author. His works include The Tenth Justice, Dead Even, The First Counsel, The Millionaires, The Zero Game, and his newest novel, The Book of Fate. He’s also the writer of the Justice League and the co-creator of the TV show, Jack & Bobby.
As part of the “Read Together, Florida” literacy campaign, Florida Governor Jeb Bush’s Family Literacy Initiative and the Volunteer Florida Foundation have decided to feature Brad’s book, The Zero Game.
Here is the event information.
- Event Name: An Afternoon with Bestselling Author Brad Meltzer!
- When: Sunday, October 22nd at 2 p.m.
- Where: Broward County Main Library
100 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale
- Registration: Call 954-357-7401
- Books will be available for sale and signing.
Go to Read Together, Florida for the following:
- To read about The Zero Game
- To register for the grand prize drawing, a trip to Washington DC with author Brad Meltzer
- To read the discussion points of The Zero Game
- To play The Zero Game!
- To learn about the essay contest to win scholarships (for High Schools)
If you decide to attend, I hope you enjoy your afternoon.
October 6th, 2006