Categories

6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031

Most Recent Posts

Support this Website

A tip on keeping frogs out of your yard

August 6th, 2007

no toadAbout a week ago, my husband installed chicken wire around the bottom of the entire fence. We did this to keep our little dogs from running around the neighborhood. Well, since then, we have noticed that the chicken wire not only keeps the dogs in the yard, but it also keeps the frogs/toads out of the yard.

hardware clothYou can find the chicken wire (AKA Galvanized Hardware Cloth) for around $20 at your local hardware store. We got ours from Home Depot in the building materials department. It’s also available at Lowe’s in the outdoor garden department. We used the 1/2″ Galvanized Hardware Cloth in the 2′ x 25′ roll. This cloth can be purchased in varying heights and widths.

So, if you have a similar situation, this solution may work for you. If your situation is a little bit different, you may want to check out eHow.com or tree frog hotels for other ideas.

Entry Filed under: Home Stuff,This & That

22 Comments Add your own

• 1. Carolyn Greenfield  |  September 15th, 2008 at 2:54 pm

“Chicken wire” is the kind with hexagonal (six-sided) openings which would allow toads/frogs to get through. I believe that what your husband installed is “hardware cloth” which, in spite of the name, is a kind of wire mesh with small square openings. It comes either galvanized or coated with green or black plastic (which makes it next to invisible except up close). Hardware cloth is also excellent to lay on the ground under a fence or a garden gate to keep the dog from digging it’s way out. The grass will grow up through the little square holes so you can’t see it but the dog will know it’s there and stop trying to escape.

• 2. Robert Carballo  |  November 24th, 2008 at 8:37 pm

hi i have a 6 month siberian husky, female. i let her out to the back yard and watched as she did her necesities when i noticed her chasing something. she managed to grab a frog and hold it for a couple seconds before i yelled and she dropped it i immediatly brought her inside and gave her milk. she did not foam, shake, seizure or perform any unusual behavior. now my concern is that i read on a web site that i should not give milk to a dog that has bitten a frog, but i read it after the incident. my question to you now is why is giving milk bad? and if so what affects should i be aware of? thank you

• 3. Darian St.Juste  |  May 18th, 2009 at 8:48 pm

I agree with Robert Carballo. Why is mil bad after the toad/frog situtation?

• 4. Lauren  |  May 26th, 2009 at 12:21 pm

I’m no expert, but giving milk to a dog will encourage the dog to swallow the toxins, bringing the toxins IN….when you should focus on rinsing the mouth out and trying to keep as much toxin OUT of the body as possible.

• 5. Carl  |  June 17th, 2009 at 11:01 pm

I agree with Lauren. Dogs will readily drink the milk and that will cause them to injest the toxins.

• 6. andrea tamayo  |  July 31st, 2009 at 2:51 am

I have a puppy and I moved to a house with a background I have seen frogs in the background and i always throug that I should give my dog milk if something will happend but thank you I always learn something new.

• 7. Pepper  |  November 25th, 2009 at 11:24 am

I also let my 3 year old norwich terrier drink water after he bit a frog in my back yard instead of flushing his mouth out with water. He was foaming out the mouth and very disoriented but he seems to be doing fine now. But Im worried that he will have long term effects from this.

• 8. Franz  |  April 4th, 2010 at 9:14 am

I have a 3 month golden retriever puppy and one time he licked a frog / toad . I only rinsed his mouth by pouring water in my hands and wiping it in his mouth . He didnt show any sign that he was poisoned . Will he be alright ?

• 9. Erika  |  May 25th, 2010 at 1:10 pm

last night my 8 month old dog got ahold of one of thos frogs and i was told pure honey so i speezed honey down his throat and sure enough he felt better in no time it suxed bc he just ate his dinner and he ended up pucking it up but he is fine today so u can alway use pure honey if your pet gets ahold of one of thos posionous animals

• 10. Bridget  |  July 13th, 2010 at 6:06 am

my golden retriever puppy is 10weeks I think he bit a frog. He spent all night gagging to throw up but nothing. could that be a indication of him bighting a frog?

• 11. Peita  |  September 8th, 2010 at 7:50 am

My dog licked a toad this morning & was foaming at the mouth. I also presumed you give them milk & did so while looking this up. He drank 2 bowls of milk before I saw about rinsing his mouth out which I therefore did with the garden hose for about 2-3 mins. It’s been half an hour & he has stopped foaming at the mouth & seems quite relaxed, so am still not sure that milk is bad. It seemed to work for us?

• 12. kelsey  |  September 17th, 2010 at 11:39 am

my t-cup yorkie attacked a small toad at night when she was let out to do her stuff,and whould not let it go i grabbed her away and rused to the bathroom to rinse out the white thing that the frog had squirted out, i feared the worse because she started foaming and i just kept rinseing it off i was there for about 5 mins. i let my mom take over and caled the vet , she said to rinse it for 15 mins.and to take her to the 24-er. because she is to small,she started getting bloated also and weighted like 3 times her size, and she weights 2.5,she couldnt stand up and her front legs where super stiff.we rushed to the 24-er. and they gave her 3 shots and put her an iv. she was fine thank god after that. but i feared the worse since her mom died with four puppies from a frog in her very own backyard. but she is fine and back to normal again. it was also costly since no vet was open at that time but it was worth it,thats for sure.

• 13. Dawn Finniss  |  October 6th, 2010 at 9:06 am

Colorado river toads are some of the nastiest amphibians alive both from look and their poison. My mini doxie has managed to lick 12 and kill 1 so far…went into seizures after his encounter with jaba the hut (that toad would have filled up a dinner plate) and after I cried for 2 hours of him writhing in pain…we called the vet back and the vet said there’s nothing he could do. So we waited it out, rinsed his mouth out (if you do it immediately for at least 15 min, you will get as much toxin out-keeping snout down, holding lips open, and swiping back-to-front with your fingers and squirting the garden hose at the same time) is the only thing you can do. Interestingly enough, the vet did say to give some milk and our dog vommited and then drank milk and seemed better in a half hour.

I would hesitate giving milk right off the bat, due to the ingestion of toxins for the first 30-60 min until the symptoms subside.

I am also going to hire a dog trainer to keep them from getting these toads but my dog just may be too dumb….we’ll see! If it works, I will post that info later on.

• 14. Dillier  |  January 15th, 2011 at 9:58 am

I have 7 dogs currently and I can assure u that giving them milk WORKS! I live in the caribbean and frogs are usually come out in the rainy season. Just last night 4 of them apparently bit a frog (which I am yet to find) and began foaming at the mouth. 3 of them were in pretty bad shape so much so that one had already began to take her last breaths while the others were on the ground stiffening up! At 3 in the AM there is no veterinary clinic open and in the state they were in they never would have made it! I immmediately made milk and began syringeing the milk down their throat. I also gave them highly concentrated salt water to force them to vomit up what was in their stomach and after one and a half intense hours of force feeding with milk they slowly regained the energy to stand up and walk around. before I knew it they were back to their old selves again. I couldn’t save all of them but the milk definitely worked wonders for me… I know this directly contradicts what was said earlier but sometimes not everything is known and in a state of pure PANIC one would do anything to save their animals… RIP Zinky :’(

• 15. Labzy  |  February 7th, 2011 at 4:35 am

I took out my dog to the garden one last night. Day after I’ve seen all the symptoms but I don’t even know yet that it the cause of a poison toad. I guess that maybe she suffer stroke or something and maybe later she will be fine. But its too late my dear dog was gone. So sad I hope I open this column before so that i gave the first aid for my dogie. name DANICA. Goodbye my friend I never forget you….

• 16. Sam  |  May 24th, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Our dog had a run in with a toad late last night. Since there has been so much rain in the Mid West this year, the toads are having a field day and of COURSE we had no idea about any of this.

So when Abby and the toad had one on one, we rinsed her mouth out right away – if I’d know more, I would have used the hose but we just grabbed glasses of water – as it was, she must have not ingested too much of the toxins thankfully and was fine within an hour. But now I’m more informed and will be sharing all this information with friends so hopefully everyone will be more aware.

I just wanted to extend my sympathy to those whom have lost their beloved pets to this – my heart goes out to you all.

• 17. Jude  |  June 29th, 2011 at 12:21 pm

To Labzy
    I am so sorry to hear that you lost your dear friend Danica. My thoughts are with you….

• 18. Judy Bowden  |  September 22nd, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Thanks for the article. Our Jack Russell got hold of a toad and immediately went into shock–stiff legs, foaming mouth, trouble breathing. We rinsed the mouth and rushed him to the emergency Vet. They gave him meds and his tem was very high. fortunately he is OK but we have other dogs and are afraid to take them out after dark. We have enclosed an area with the hardware cloth covered with plastic and have lights out there. It seems that there should be something we can put on the ground to discourage them. They are also going into the barn and leaving their large turds all over. Going to try to cover any open areas with the hardware cloth. We have four dogs and the other thrree are small.

• 19. Mark  |  October 28th, 2011 at 9:58 am

My 50lb +- blue heeler mix keeps getting ahold of frogs in our yard. I have alot of banana trees that atract them and cant seem to get rid of them. She does not bite them just licks them then froths from the mouth. I have been wiping her mouth with a towl and giving her a little milk. she seems to be alright after the milk-no side effects so far, She seems to be imune to the toxins, or just going through hner teenage years and is fearless!!

• 20. TrishTrish  |  January 28th, 2012 at 7:12 am

My little Jack Russell/Kelpie Cross who weighs only 5.6kg has just been bitten by a toad. It is Sat night so no Vets open. I have only had him a week. I have rinsed his mouth as best I can. He is no longer foaming. Just hoping he will be alright through the night.

• 21. Vanessa Daugherty  |  October 13th, 2014 at 4:38 am

Every night when I take my poodle and husky out the bull frogs are out. Gracie, the husky that’s a year old wants to play with them. I didn’t know until my neighbor told me they put off a poison after I told her what Gracie did. Its getting to be a big problem! It happened again tonight! The frogs have got to go. Some of them are so huge they have babies on there backs. I live in Atlantic, NC. Can someone help?

• 22. ADHoney  |  May 14th, 2015 at 10:37 am

Last night I rushed my 10 year old Jack Russell to Hollywood Animal Hospital after she showed signs of ingesting something. We live in South Florida so we knew it had to be a toad; she vomited, drooled, and her body became rigid. I held her close as we raced to the Hospital. Whatever you do DO NOT MAKE YOUR DOG SWALLOW ANYTHING. It will force the toxins into their system. Rinse out the mouth and eyes and get them to the hospital immediately. There is no “anti-venom” and it just has to run its course; valium helps with the seizures; vomiting can lead to aspiration and pneumonia!