Categories

567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031

Most Recent Posts

Support this Website

How to remove easter egg dye

March 28th, 2007

lava soapLast year, my niece got easter egg dye all over her hands, arms, and face Unfortunately, easter was the following day and the easter egg dye wasn’t coming off. After much research, I found that good ol’ Lava Soap will clean the easter egg dye right off your skin. You can buy it at your grocery store for a couple of dollars.

Here are a few more suggestions from others who have commented below:

According to Paula, Toothpast and a nailbrush does the trick. And Laura says Fels-Naptha also works like a charm. If you have a remedy that works for you please add a comment. You just might save someone’s day.

So, here’s to decorating those eggs and having clean children afterwards!

Entry Filed under: Arts & Crafts,This & That

28 Comments Add your own

• 1. Brian Fletcher  |  April 4th, 2007 at 8:35 pm

Thanks for the info! Lava saved the day!

• 2. Mary Ann  |  April 7th, 2007 at 2:52 pm

Thanks, It really worked. Glad I found this before going to Church.

• 3. Jandora  |  April 9th, 2007 at 7:45 pm

Thanks so much!!! I thought my 5 and 7 year old would be rainbow colors for a month!! I’m going to tell everyone about this!!!! You are a life saver.

• 4. Nicole  |  March 4th, 2008 at 3:14 pm

Thank goodness I looked up how to remove dye. I had my kids and their two friends over doing eggs and they were covered in green dye. The Lava soap was great! I would have felt awful sending their friends home green. Thanks again.

• 5. Dorris  |  March 19th, 2008 at 5:25 pm

I knew someone would know. My family has a total of 5 one year olds, and couple of older toddlers. I knew they would be a mess by the end of things. Not to mention all of the older kids too!

• 6. Debbie  |  March 19th, 2008 at 11:49 pm

Thanks for the helpful hint. I have green and blue dye on my hands and so does my 3yr old.. I am a flight attendant and it does not look so good serving others..I will get some tomorrow before I work..Thanks for saving the day!!

• 7. Sue  |  March 21st, 2008 at 8:30 pm

Worked like a charm…even 1 hour after coloring the eggs. Thanks for the great tip!

• 8. Kristi  |  March 22nd, 2008 at 9:45 am

Thanks from Indiana too!! We are off to buy Lava!

• 9. kim  |  March 22nd, 2008 at 3:24 pm

thanks soo much for this we hadd soo much coloring on our hands

thanks from south carolina=)

• 10. Michelle  |  March 22nd, 2008 at 4:37 pm

My little one has green fingers! Thanks for the Tip! Off to get some Lava!

• 11. jamie  |  March 22nd, 2008 at 6:08 pm

My daughter had blue dye on her hands and then decided to itch her cheek. I was worried she would have that look until several says after easter.I am off to buy lava soap – and if that doesn’t work at least people will be able to tell her apart from her twin sister!

• 12. Terri  |  March 22nd, 2008 at 8:32 pm

Thanks a lot! I remember having a bar of soap under the sink always as a kid. It worked for egg dye, too. Lava soap has a home again under our sink.

• 13. Michelle  |  March 22nd, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Ahhhhhhh! Thank you! The Lava worked! Thank you!
    Happy Easter!

• 14. Michelle  |  March 22nd, 2008 at 8:41 pm

Thank you! The Lava soap worked! Happy Easter!

• 15. Paula  |  March 22nd, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Hi, just use toothpaste and a nailbrush – it comes off quickly and easily. I use toothpaste to clean lots of things around the house as well! Good Luck!
    Happy Easter

• 16. StaceyV  |  March 22nd, 2008 at 10:27 pm

We couldn’t get to the store to get Lava soap, so we tried the toothpaste and it worked better than soap and water. It takes care of the dark colors, but leaves you stuck with the pink/red residue. We had to try it quickly since we had the one year old twins, 3 and four year old COVERED in egg dye, We will also be heading out for the LAVA soap, but the toothpaste did help alot.

Thanks!
    Stacey

• 17. laura  |  March 24th, 2008 at 12:35 pm

I didn’t have Lava, so I used Fels-Naptha instead, and it worked like a charm!

• 18. Canise  |  March 24th, 2008 at 3:14 pm

Hello, I think I will try the Lava soap, I just tried toothpaste and hairspray and neither worked. I have mainly pink on my fingers and fingernails, maybe that’s why. Thanks for your suggestion :)

• 19. La Crumpet  |  June 25th, 2008 at 3:01 pm

What about baking soda?

I use baking soda to clean up messes from dyeing yarn with Kool Aid. The idea is that the acid in Kool-Aid stains, so an anti-acid should remove the stain.

We always use baking soda to remove tomato-stained plastic. Even better, we have it in the house already!

• 20. Linda  |  April 9th, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Yes, toothpaste really does work!!! Thank You

• 21. Kate  |  April 11th, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Fels-Naptha worked pretty well… I used the Easter Unlimited Tie Dye kit from Walmart, and still have some stubborn stains. Hopefully a few more hits will work.

• 22. JOhn Perry  |  April 11th, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Didn’t have lava soap but dawn dish detergent saved the day

• 23. Tamara  |  April 12th, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Also oven cleaner n windex seprately but takes alot of scrubbing

• 24. Joanna Milich  |  April 3rd, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I used regular soap and a green brillo scrubby pad. It mostly worked. I will have to scrub more later. I can’t find Lava soap all the time here. :( But I will be trying the toothpaste after the little one gets settled (we have been napping). Thanks for the tips!

• 25. Mom23  |  April 3rd, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I just made a paste out of powder laundry det and water and washed. It didn’t look like it worked until you wash it off and the dye is GONE!!!! Amazing

• 26. Connie  |  April 3rd, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Mix a little cooking oil and sugar , then use it like a scrubber. Works like a charm

• 27. Jill  |  April 4th, 2010 at 12:53 am

Soap and water didn’t work, tried nail polish remover, did not work. I tried laundry detergent like this website said and mixed it with a little salt. And my once green tie died hands turned SO clean in a second. The edges around my nails are a little dirty still but if you scrub them for a bit, it’ll come off.

• 28. CAROL  |  April 22nd, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I USED POLLIDENT TABS TO GET RED DYEOFF. JUST WET THE TAB AND RUB BACK AND FORTH ON THE STAIN AND IT COMES RIGHT OFF. I HAD A LOT ON SO I DID IT A SECOND TIME. HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU