Categories

23242526272829
3031

Most Recent Posts

Support this Website

Baked Pasta Recipe

October 12th, 2006

There used to be a product called Prego Pasta Bake. From all the reviews I’ve read, it was a big hit and I thought so too. Unfortunately, Campbell’s has discontinued it with no replacement in sight. So, I had to improvise. Here’s my version of their recipe.

Ingredients:

1 package (16 oz.) of uncooked ziti or rotini or other round noodles (do not use lasagna or other long, flat noodles)Baked Pasta

1 jar of 26 oz. pasta sauce

3 1/2 cups of water

2 cups (8 oz.) of shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix uncooked pasta, pasta sauce, and water in 13″ x 9″ baking dish. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Stir pasta well, then top with cheese. Bake uncovered for 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. This recipe yields about 8 servings.

To round out the meal, add salad and garlic bread. And depending on your mood, maybe some wine (for the adults, of course).

Looking for more easy recipes? Try my recipe section.

Entry Filed under: Recipes

25 Comments Add your own

• 1. Neil Sohlin  |  October 27th, 2006 at 8:20 am

Thanks. My kids love this and we haven’t had it in a couple years. To add a twist to the recipe, I crumble up and cook some Italian Sausage and throw that into the mix. It really adds some extra flavor.

• 2. Christine Karlovec  |  December 8th, 2006 at 11:29 am

I’ve been looking for this product also and I thought I was the only one who used this in the microwave for a fast supper. I found out at Thanksgiving that a cousin of mine used it a lot otimes becasue of the large family. She told me she misses it.
    I like your version that you came up with but, what would I do to put in the microwave.
    Thanks

• 3. Kim  |  April 22nd, 2008 at 10:43 pm

I used to love the pasta bake sauce, too! I had been searching and searching for a recipe for baked pasta that was not boiled beforehand. Thank you!!!

• 4. Theresa  |  June 20th, 2008 at 7:57 pm

I loved that baked pasta sauce–and really missed it when it disappeared. I was looking for a recipe that was similar, so thanks. I’ll be adding some ground beef and mushrooms.

• 5. Annie P.  |  November 17th, 2008 at 12:32 am

I lived off pasta bake in college. Now that I am married, I wanted to make it for my husband as a quick, but still home cooked meal. I couldn’t find it anywhere! I am so glad you posted this recipe. I think I will add Italian ground turkey to satisfy my husband’s low fat meat craving.
    Thanks again!

• 6. Chris  |  November 23rd, 2008 at 11:44 pm

I find that the this leaves too much water, needs another 10 minutes before uncovering.

• 7. mentalutopia  |  February 17th, 2009 at 4:24 pm

This version isn’t a flavorful as the Prego sauce. I’m trying it with added tomato paste and spices.

• 8. Sonja  |  February 23rd, 2009 at 2:58 am

I cannot thank you enough for posting this recipe. My husband and I loved the Prego Pasta Bakes and were so disappointed when they discontinued the sauce. I had even emailed them to confirm that it was no longer available. I was surprised that they said there wasn’t enough interest because it seemed like the perfect meal for busy families. Anyway, I decided to search the Internet in hopes that there would be a way to make it using different sauce. Well, I came across your recipe and made it tonight. We loved it! It was just as we remembered. I wish I hadn’t waited 2 years to look for it. Thank you so very much!

• 9. Lea R  |  May 28th, 2009 at 4:29 pm

I am SO happy I searched for this… I have been missing the pasta bake!! I was sure there was a way to make it, but I needed some times/temps. I also remember you could pour in the sauce and then just fill the jar with water – that usually gave the correct amount you needed. Thank you so much for posting this -ive got dinner taken care of tonight!

• 10. USMC SSgt (Ret)  |  September 13th, 2009 at 7:00 pm

Couldn’t remember the temp so I found this during my search. Had been over a year and got to craving this stuff. Didn’t matter much that they discontinued it because we tried every sauce under the sun just to change things up a bit. Being an active duty Marine and having three kids playing football, baseball, basketball, and soccer we were always on the go. This came in very handy and by adding onions, peppers, mushrooms, and meat, or any combination thereof, it rarely got old.
    Ragu’s 7 Herb or Mama’s Special Garden Recipe seemed to always disappear the quickest. And we always stirred in 2 cups of mozzerella then topped with 2 cups. MMMMM

• 11. Cecil  |  October 13th, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Thanks I LOVED the Prego Pasta Bakes and I was so ticked off when I couldn’t find them anymore. I normally don’t do quick cooking like that but I thought those were good.

• 12. Jeni  |  January 3rd, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I totally agree!! Why in the world would they discontinue something that people loved so much they’re googling it trying to find it?!? I used to eat this quick and delicious meal once a week!! Thanks for posting the recipe!!

• 13. Denise  |  February 16th, 2010 at 3:25 pm

I have been searching most of the morning for this type of recipe!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :)

• 14. Lyn  |  March 21st, 2010 at 7:30 pm

You are a Saint! I knew it had some water added, but was not willing to waste pasta/sauce to do the experiment. Thank you for the right mix.

• 15. cheryl  |  June 25th, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Thanks a bunch for posting this I lost mine in a move and this one is pretty close to the one I use to make and its terrific

• 16. Laura  |  September 20th, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I’m going to try this tonight. I lke the idea of adding more water. The old recipe was too dry. Thanks

• 17. Christian  |  December 28th, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I just use a jar of prego sauce and refill the jar with water and add to uncooked noodles. Taste the same as the pasta bake did. I did this when they had the pasta bake because it was the same amount in the jar and costs a lot less. Love it!

• 18. Cheri  |  March 20th, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Try this with Barilla’s Italian Baking Sauce. Use a little less water. You’ll thank me later. :-)

• 19. Cory  |  May 2nd, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I used to love Prego’s pasta bake back in college. So easy to make and everyone loved it as well. I used to make dish after dish for everyone in the dorm kitchen. Cheri thanks for the heads up on the Barilla’s I’ll see if I can find it.

• 20. Deanna  |  July 14th, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Thank you for the Prego Pasta Bake Sauce recipe.. I was surprised to learn that the company discontinued the product and it took me a while to find out the recipe, my son loved this few years ago and then I decided to make something quick and easy dinner during my busy schedule does makes it easier..

• 21. Rah  |  October 18th, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I can not believe that I was not the only one going through this…I’m reading your comments in amazement! I just sat down to search for it and I could not even remember why I stopped making it! Now I remember…It disappeared! Thanks a million for the recipe! You are a visionary! ;-)

• 22. Nancy  |  December 15th, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Thanks so much for posting this. I have been making this with Ragu for a while now, but always forget the time/temp! I like some of the other suggestions of Italian sausage, or beef and mushrooms. Thanks again, it will be a quick meal tonight!

• 23. Cari  |  January 12th, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Thank You! 6 years later and I still miss that recipe and pasta bake sauce! It was my favorite dish to make in college too. I can finally give this another shot! Thanks so much!

• 24. Thais  |  February 9th, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I just ate mine and it was delicious. I can’t think of anything else easier than that. Mine was cooked in 25 minutes and I splashed some olive oil on top.
    Thanks it saved me a lot of time!

• 25. Tina K  |  September 22nd, 2012 at 4:00 am

Ohhh I miss pasta bake SO much! I wish they would bring it back.